Sunday, December 16, 2012

Quilts in Shades of Gray

Whether you spell it gray or grey, it's not a color that gets used much in quilts. When Bonnie Hunter announced that she was using that particular color as a major player in her Easy Street mystery quilt, it made my daughter and I think. We realized neither of us had any gray fabrics on our stash, though I did find a small piece stuck in a box some time later. We both intended to make the mystery quilt and thought it would be fun to challenge ourselves by using the same gray fabric but choosing all the others differently. Since then I've noticed gray in quite a few quilts, and I've about decided it's sadly under appreciated.

Here are some quilts I've found that use gray. 
I love the colors against the barn! There's
gray in the quilt, too.
From: life on the selvage edge

Gray can be modern.
From: V and Co.


Gray can be young.
By Louise
From: lululollylegs

It can even be sweetly feminine.
From : oops-lah
Here gray sets off the many other colors used and
also keeps them from clashing.
From: material obsession

Nothing but gray, yet lovely!
By Yoko Saito
From: Be*mused

Finally, here's a very sophisticated use of gray.
By Tim Latimer
From: tim quilts


These quilts make me think I've been missing something by not using gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment