Monday, November 26, 2012

A Sophisticate on Easy Street - Part 1





















A couple of phone calls with Betsy the morning the first step was released established that we needed to cut twenty Width-of-Fabric strips in our mutual gray. Then, since most of our background fabrics are in fat quarters, we could cut the longer gray strips in half and match them with the lighter fabrics to piece. Clear as mud, right? My background fabrics are all white on white, Betsy's are cream. Both look great with the gray. I had two white-on-white fabrics that were 1/2 yard cuts. So I used them full length and for half of the strips. One is the stripe you can clearly see in the above picture upper right, the other is a more mottled and seen center square, lower left end. The rest of my strips came from my assorted fat quarters.
I'm not the world's most accurate quilter, so I took my time and carefully cut my fabrics strips. After sewing them together I pressed the seams flat, as I've read that helps to set them. I then proceeded to cut the strips into 2" pieces. After cutting 200, I suddenly realized I'd forgotten to go back and press the seams to one side. So I spent almost an hour ironing those little pieces open, seams pressed toward the gray end. :(
Despite that setback, I finished all my squares on Sunday. The corners meet nicely in the center, and on the back they swirl very prettily. 400 four-patches now reside, labelled, in a large baggie, waiting for the next big reveal. In the meantime, I think I'll go knit some socks...

This post is linked to Easy Street Monday Link-Up #1!

10 comments:

  1. I'm bookmarking you because it will be two for one. I think it will be quite interesting to see how much alike/different all of our quilts will be. Still deciding whether to get a blog. I wish my daughter were at home so she could help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have some help when you get started, isn't it? I do hope you'll find a way to share your progress, too. It's so fun seeing what others are doing!

      Delete
  2. Lovely little four patches, looking forward to seeing your quilt evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the white on white, and how fun to share this with your daughter! I should be finishing my sets instead of reading what every one has DONE hahaha but looking about has been such fun. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking four patches..can't wait to see your quilt progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely that you and your daughter are both doing the mystery together. Looking forward to step 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on finishing Part 1 so quickly, just a few more days to wait for the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I DO have some other things to keep me occupied. If I didn't I'd probably be going crazy waiting!

      Delete
  7. I love seeing what everyone has pulled out for the background and their choice for constant! Thank you for sharing yours, Sharyn

    ReplyDelete