Friday, November 28, 2014

Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt Intro!

Well, it's that time of year again - the launch of Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville's annual mystery quilt!  This year's quilt is called "Grand Illusion", in reference to her stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.  Her color choices for this year's quilt are beautiful, of course, and inspired by the hotel itself.  I, however, am doing something a bit different this time around.

I've been wanting to make a Christmas quilt for several years now, and have been toying with the idea of using Christmas fabrics with a mystery quilt.  This year, I decided to go for it.  Not only am I using nearly all Christmas prints, but I'm also switching up the colors from her recommendations and only using one fabric per color.  I'm well aware that my end result will be drastically different from the original, but I'm okay with that.  Bonnie's quilts are really well designed, and I think that I'll be thrilled with the results!

So, without further ado, here are my fabric selections:


From left to right, my red & gold print is her yellow, the light green is her green, my dark green is her turquoise/aqua, and my red print is her pink.  The black subs for her black scraps, and my white print is her neutral.


Here is the link to the mystery's introduction, for color suggestions and fabric requirements. This week's clue was a big one, so I'm off to go cut and sew, and think about Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment