Saturday, July 20, 2013

Shire Study Shawl Finished!


 I completed this asymmetrical knitted shawl a few weeks ago, and have just been waiting for an opportunity to get some decent pictures of it.  I absolutely love it!  The pattern is "Stripe Study Shawl" that I found on Ravelry.  I used KnitPicks Palette yarn in Shire Heather and Black.  It was my first project using Palette, and I loved it.  It wasn't at all scratchy and I didn't have any major issued with splitting, either.  It washed and blocked beautifully, and I'm so thrilled with the finished project!

I've never blocked anything this large before, it didn't quite fit on the kitchen table, and I didn't have enough blocking boards.  I had to get creative with it, so the end result is not as "perfect" as I would have liked - the center line is wonky, but not nearly as badly as it looks.  Next time, I'll make sure I plan ahead a little better and borrow Mom's blocking boards to make sure I have enough!  It was also my first time using lace blocking wires.  Honestly, they were a pain to use, but totally worth it.  They weren't long enough to go the whole length of any of the sides, so I had to overlap them, but they kept slipping out and moving around... kind of frustrating!  But, there is no way I could have gotten such straight edges without them, even with such a simple shawl shape, so I'm going to keep using them and assume they'll get easier with practice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment